Monday, May 31, 2021

Ambulance & Heart Surgery


 PART 1 - Ambulance

Event:

On May 2nd, I returned to church for the first time in 2021 after being fully vaccinated for Covid-19. I was thoroughly enjoying greeting some friends and feeling great. Worship began, and the first song took me straight to the throne of God. I was fully engaged and loving it. By the third song, I found it difficult to stand. I sat down feeling really hot and immediately broke into a huge sweat. My husband, Dan, noticed and sat with me. I told Dan that I was not doing well, and within a minute I was in and out of consciousness. They kept calling out my name to keep me awake. I just wanted to go to sleep as it was a real battle to stay conscious. My body was as limp as a rag doll, and when I came to, all I saw was black. It was like I was totally blind. Church security called 911, and I was taken by ambulance from church. Now how is that for a disruptive service! I remained in the rag doll condition fighting to stay awake for about an hour and a half. That is what happened physically, but what was God doing spiritually?


God’s Promise:

Phil 4:7,19 "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus...And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."


God’s Provision:

That morning God sent a nurse from California to visit our church for the first time and placed her behind me. When she saw me collapse, she immediately came to help my husband take care of me. Because of the way God used her in that moment, she and her husband knew our church was the one God wanted them to join. Meeting her in person a month later, I was able to introduce her to our women’s director and sign her up for Bible study.

 

During the entire time that I was a rag doll in church and throughout the whole ambulance ride to the ER, I experienced the presence of God like never before. He put me at total peace in the midst of the storm. It was worth the crisis to experience that type of sweet presence with my faithful Lord. God showed up again in the ER when my personal concierge cardiologist returned my call at the same time the ER doctor returned to my room. Together they put together a plan that led to my best treatment. I returned home and two days later had a top of the line heart monitor attached to me that only my concierge cardiologist could get. 

 

Part 2- Upcoming Heart Surgery


Event:

After wearing a heart monitor for two weeks and mailing it to Houston to be read, we got the news:  “Houston, we have a problem.” The monitor had recorded 38 events which indicated I was at extremely high risk for sudden death while sleeping at night or even while simply walking around during the day. My prior ten years of heart failure combined with this new electrical issue in my heart made me a dead woman walking. I was referred to a surgeon who determined that installing a defibrillator would be the best approach and that the surgery should be done as soon as possible. When I experience arrhythmia in the future, this implanted device should shock my heart into a regular rhythm. I will go to the hospital Tuesday for pre-surgery testing, and the three-hour surgery is scheduled for June 4th. On June 7th Dan and I will celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. 


God’s Promise:

Psalm 139:16 "All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be” Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."


God’s Provision:

There will be no big trip for our 35th wedding anniversary; instead, my husband will care for me in sickness as I recover from surgery. Dan has been so attentive and loving during this whole ordeal that our love and appreciation for one another has deepened. That is a gift from God. God knows the number of our days on this earth, so my days will not end one day too early or one day late. That truth gives me peace and helps me rest in His love in the storm. Additionally, mentees and friends are offering to bring us meals. Those who know me know that cooking is not my first love. What will a woman do to get out of cooking? Joking aside, God is meeting all our needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Your prayers are the most precious gift of all. Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. As I read your latest blog post, I am filled with gratitude for God's provision and watch over you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Asking God to cover you and Dan with His peace, comfort, and healing. Praying God's Word over you.
    Psalm 30: 2
    O Lord, my God, I cried to You for help, and you healed me.
    Isaiah 43: 1
    Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!
    Love & Blessings,
    >Julie Fuselier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Linda and I will be praying! So thankful for your sweet husband and his attentive ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our God is faithful. Your Calling is sure. The next chapter is being written. May your unwavering faith and commitment to self-care lead others to know and trust God just as you have. I will definitely be praying, but have no doubt that all will be well. Blessings on a speedy recovery and to you and your husband on your upcoming anniversary!
    Val Daye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it was caught in time. Glad in happened in church… when two or more are gathered in my name. Prayers for your upcoming AICD implant procedure. “ Trust in the Lord with all your heart. And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

    I believe you did just that. Much love, Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious Linda, praying for you this morning as we will be doing tomorrow and in the days that follow on your recovery from surgery. Wow, reading your testimony about God's incredible provision and protection for you is once again a testimony of His FAITHFULNESS and His POWERFUL presence! Your beautiful and contagious faith and love for our Lord Jesus shines through! The Lord will be your shield, your protector, your portion, your provider, your healer, guiding the hands of every member of the surgical team tomorrow! To God be the glory, great things He has done!

    ReplyDelete