Friday, October 29, 2010

Preparing My Heart


In less than two days I will be on my way to the Cleveland Clinic to have open heart surgery. As the awaited time draws closer, I can feel the Lord preparing my heart for the road ahead. Because He is always faithful to equip us for the road He has called us to, He gave me a very specific and practical way to focus on Him. It not only helps calm my heart now as I ready for surgery, but I also plan to use it to occupy my mind as I recover.

Early in this journey the Lord gave me Isaiah 26:3: “He will keep in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you.” This truth has been the key in walking down this path. It would be so easy to focus on my circumstances, but instead have chosen to focus on the Lord’s attributes allows peace to reign in my heart.

Previously I have used the alphabet to study God’s attributes. One day I would name all the qualities He is that begin with A (Alpha, Awesome, Anchor, Armor, Atonement, Authority, etc.) the next day the letter B and so forth. After trial runs with other surgeries, I became aware that as I pull out of anesthesia and pain medicine, I can only handle focusing on something very simple. So I narrowed my list to one thing for each letter and have spent time storing these traits of God (A-Z) in my heart in preparation of that time:

Almighty
Beautiful
Comforter
Deliverer
Everlasting
Faithful
Giver of Grace
Healer
Indescribable
Just
King of Kings
Lord of Lords
Majestic
Noble
Omega
Provider
Quiets the Storm
Redeemer
Savior
Truth
Unfathomable
Victorious
Worthy
X-ray vision
Yahweh
Zealous for my soul

I have a new season ahead of me – one of pain, recovery and rest. Being one who enjoys so much activity – mentoring, leading Bible study, blogging, tennis, walking and more, I am aware of how difficult this could be. But I walk ahead completely confident of the One who has so faithfully led me this far. He is already teaching me the joy found in the stillness of His presence.
Through these next few months, I will have many doctors, family and friends come and go, but there will be One who will never leave my side. Looking up at the list of all that He is, my heart leaps for joy to be able to share this intimate time with Him alone. I have an awesome Lord to occupy me through this trial. He is the Giver of every breath and the Sustainer of every heart beat.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." - John 14:27

5 comments:

  1. Oh my sweet sister - you are such a blessing to me!! You are in my prayers and on my heart constantly. I love you and I can't wait to see what God has in store for you. I am so BLESSED to have you for my spiritual mama. :) I look forward to serving YOU for a change in December! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Col.3:15 "May the PEACE of Christ rule in your heart." You are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you, Susan Habbick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, You are such an inspiration. I am so thankful that God put you and Leslie into my life. I can not wait to read and hear about how God uses you throughout this journey. You are in my prayers dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that as you've had to be still, you have grown in the knowledge of our God. How mysterious are His ways, and how bless I am by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you, Linda! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Love: David, Stephanie, Madison, and Tyson.

    ReplyDelete